Oral Hygiene: 10 Tips for Having a Healthy Smile and Teeth
Achieving a healthy smile and teeth requires a lifetime of care, discipline and good practice of oral hygiene every day. Just brushing your teeth every morning and night doesn't guarantee you a healthy smile and teeth. As you may know there are millions of bacteria present in our mouth. These bacteria build up as plaque, cavities, and gingivitis which lead to gum disease and can damage your teeth.
To prevent gum disease the best thing you can do is brush after meals, use a antimicrobial mouthwash, floss once per day and schedule regular dental checkups. Consider the following 10 oral hygiene tips to help you obtain optimal oral health.
- Proper Brushing Technique: Use a proper brushing technique to banish the leftover food and clean your teeth. Consider holding your brush at a 45° angle against the gum line and use back and forth strokes across the sides and tops of your teeth. Gently hold the brush vertically and brush the inside of each tooth using short back-and-forth strokes where plaque builds up often.
- Brush For Two Minutes Twice a Day: Many people have the habit of brushing their teeth every day but don’t brush properly to keep their teeth clean. Our Cosmetic Dentist in Apex NC recommends brushing for at least two minutes twice daily and move the toothbrush in a gentle circular motion to remove plaque.
- Don't Neglect Your Tongue: Plaque can also build on your tongue and lead to bad mouth odor. So gently brush your tongue to remove bacteria and freshen your breath. Our Cosmetic Dentist Dr. Chirnalli recommends brushing your tongue every time you brush your teeth.
- Pick The Right Brush: Choose a brush with soft bristles. Dr. Chirnalli recommends an electric toothbrush.
- Use Fluoride Toothpaste: When it comes to toothpaste make sure it contains fluoride. Fluoride is a leading defense against tooth decay as well as providing a protective barrier for your teeth.
- Make Flossing As Important As Brushing: Many of us brush regularly but neglect to floss. Cultivate the habit of flossing daily once to remove the germs that are stuck in between your teeth. Use an 18" of floss, excluding an inch or two to work with. Gently follow the curve of your teeth and rub it in a motion that creates a forward and backward 'C' shape and makes sure to clean it beneath the gum line.
Consider Using A Mouthwash: A mouthwash can go where a toothbrush and floss can't, but many people skip them because they don't know how they work. Mouthwash helps in three ways:
With regular use of mouthwash, you can keep your mouth healthy and fresh.
- It helps remove debris.
- It reduces the number of bacteria in the mouth.
- It can whiten your teeth.
- Clean And Change Your Brush: Rinse your toothbrush after every use and allow it to air dry. Don't cover your toothbrush to keep it clean. Covering your toothbrush can lead to new bacteria and introduce them into your mouth. Make a point of getting a new brush after every two to three months. Because of bristles as it deteriorates with time and usage. So using the same toothbrush beyond certain months may not be getting the best results.
- Drink More Water: Drinking water is always essential for your overall health - Including oral health. Water is always a winner for your dental health as it strengthens your teeth, keeps your mouth clean, fights dry mouth and it's calorie-free.
- Visit Our Dentist Twice A Year: Your everyday oral hygiene is crucial for your oral health. Still, it's recommended visiting Our Cosmetic Dentist in Apex, NC twice a year for cleaning, dental checkups, spot potential issues, and offer treatment solutions.
These are the 10 best oral hygiene tips as recommended by our Dentist Dr. Chirnalli. If you are facing any Oral Hygiene issues let our Cosmetic Dentist in Apex, NC know. Call us at (919) 380-8888 to learn more or to meet our Cosmetic Dentist located in Apex, NC.